02 March 2009

Home Alone

5 Rabi al-Awwal - Year 1430

Pixie's been in Amsterdam for the past week on a business trip and she's not back in England until Friday. She's enjoyed some of it, despised other bits. I'll let her post the details, if she wants to. It's been strange, staying in the house with no other critters about. I haven't lived alone for longer than a week since 2001. It's been a good exercise, having to cook meals, do the laundry, etc. When I was single, I mainly ate ready-meals for dinner and fast food for lunch--I know, not an exemplary diet. I wondered why I felt sluggish all the time. I feel much healthier now and hey, I've even heated up some fresh vegetables this week, which I bought myself. That seems like progress to me, in some sense. Now, if I can only learn to cook something from scratch--that'll be an accomplishment.

I watched Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain this week. I was able to choose one of 'my' films from the rental list in Pixie's absence. Originally released in 1973, it never achieved a proper showing, other than at a few film festivals. It was reissued on DVD in 2007, along with his other cult film El Topo--both distrubuted by Allen Klein's ABKCO label. It's mainly about the spiritual journey of a man only identified as "The Fool" or "The Thief". He looks a lot like the West's image of Jesus (or a typical hippie, circa 1973). You can read the plot summary on the Wiki page. Apparently, the film is partly based on Rene Daumal's Mount Analogue novel. The film is very much 'of it's time', especially the psychedelic colours and camera angles in the "Tower" scenes--but the quest it portrays certainly seems timeless to me, that for immortality and rising above the earthbound nature. It's not an easy viewing and if copious nudity, Peckinpah-like violence and little dialogue aren't your bag--you'll probably want to avoid it. There's also a bit where "The Alchemist" (played by Jodorowsky) transforms the Thief's...erm...excrement into gold. I happened to be eating crisps during that moment--luckily I've got a fairly strong stomach. Overall, I enjoyed the film and while maybe some of the symbolism was a bit obvious, "The Holy Mountain" still seems a unique experience and one that still has me thinking about it over a week later. The photography seems very visceral and Jodorwosky captures the dusty towns and windswept fields so well that you can almost smell the dirty streets and feel the tall grasses. They definitely don't make 'em like this anymore.

Esoteric Recordings are on a roll with great re-issues! Following on from their excellent Man and Supersister near-complete back-cat re-releases, they've gone and tackled Fruupp's 4 studio records. Previously only available on expensive Japanese import editions and a 2-disc anthology--these CDs are definitely welcome. Finally, all four separate albums have been given a domestic release. The booklets have detailed notes about the band's history and each album and the Prince Of Heaven's Eyes booklet includes the original story, by Paul Harvey, which the album was based on. The story booklet was only available with the first pressings of the LP when it was released in 1974. Esoteric have also announced that they'll be re-issuing The Deviants' 3 1960s records and lead singer/provocateur Mick Farren's Mona--The Carnivourous Circus (his debut solo album) next month. Those are definitely on the purchase list!

Anyway, I'm off to tidy up the house before Pixie gets home!

No comments: