07 August 2009

The 'Stroboscope Gets A Shout-Out!

Prickle-Prickle, Confusion 73, Year of Our Lady of Discord 3175

A few weeks ago, I sent an e-mail to Stuart Maconie, presenter of quite possibly the best show on radio (at the very least on the BBC) at the moment, the Freak Zone. For the uninitiated, 'The Zone' is a 2-1/2 hour broadcast featuring psychedelic rock, prog-rock and other left-field sounds. There's usually an interview section somewhere in the middle of the show, past luminaries have included Irmin Schmidt of Can and Peter Hammill (Van der Graaf Generator and solo). There's also a cat called Professor Justin Spear, who brings in crazy obscure stuff...Italian sound-track LPs from the 60s, Polish jazz, etc. Toward the end of each programme, there'll be a "live freaks" bit - which could be a past BBC session, or a couple of tracks from a live record.

I was listening to last Sunday's show (2nd August), after Pixie and I had returned from camping. Suddenly, Stuart starting reading some of the e-mail I had sent. He mentioned the bit where I complimented him for being brave enough to play prog-rock on a major radio show. He responded with "That's us...utterly courageous" He read my moniker out and then mentioned the 'Stroboscope! I had sent him the link to it and asked him if he would check it out sometime. So, a big cheers to Mr. Maconie for the plug!

If you want to listen to the latest "Freak Zone" show, check it out here. I'm working on a new 'Stroboscope episode and I hope to finish it in the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This comments box took forever to appear on my decrepit computer screen, so I'll use it to comment on the last three posts, if you don't mind. First, sorry I've been absent for a while but things have been haywire.

It's fab that Mr. Maconie gave you a mention. I never seem to find the time to listen to his fine show. I did hear the start of his mid-week show with Mark Radcliffe the other day and they opned up with 'Run, Run, Run' by Jo Jo Gunne. Made my day.

Sounds like you had a groovy Dorsetshire time. Glad it was good.

Pharoah Sanders is so bloody good. I only have 'Karma' and some of the stuff he did with Coltrane but it speaks for itself. Real music.